Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Long Night


My sweet baby, whom I always brag on for sleeping through the night, was a TERROR last night. For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to go to the mall to meet my friends - Jenny and Joey, for dinner and spend some gift cards. Too bad the mall is an hour away. He had a blast at dinner - he's a very social baby and loves to make eye contact with strangers, then he will flash his million dollar smile until they stop to say how beautiful he is. By the time we got around to the shopping part - it was 8:00 p.m. - bambino bedtime. Oops. Things were fine, he was chillin' in his stroller, until I stopped to look at a pair of jeans. Then came full-on hysterical tears. We walk, he's happy, I stop he cries. So I roll on on out to the car. I'm talented, but not able to try on jeans while strolling. My little man fell asleep in the car before we got out of the parking lot. Sweet!

When we get home, he's suddenly ready for round two. We play on the couch a little, quietly...as I try to unwind him again. Once asleep, I put him up in his crib, turn on the monitor, and partake in one of my and cousin Davey's favorite pastimes - Drinking while watcing Intervention. The irony... Don't worry, I'm talking less than a glass of wine, not a six pack! Then I hear whining on the monitor, then yelling, then quiet, the cooing. He's up. Repeat about 10 times - and that takes us to 6 a.m. this morning when I bring the baby into my bed hoping for an hour of sleep. I got it.

And to all of you that shame me for letting him sleep in my bed for an hour - kiss my ass. A well-rested mommy is a happy mommy, and a happy mommy is a good parent.

1 comment:

  1. You're an awesome MAMA--what a lucky grand nephew I have!! But I am compelled to clarify one point--while Aunt Dana is a pretty decent cook, now...that was NOT always the case. I must remind you that this is the woman who used to cook instant pudding and wonder why "it never hardened". And asked our mom how long to cook pork so her family wouldn't get "Scikle Cell Anemia" (uh... sis, we're Italian, not African American...I think you mean "trichinosis"). And until a few years ago, all the woman could cook was creamed hamburger over mashed potatoes (and pasta, of course). But I digress. I'm looking forward to reading the blog. We miss you all very much--it's snowing hard here today in Central Wisconsin--Gay Gay's favorite winter weather. I'm looking out my window at work now and it looks like a giant snow globe! Give that baby a big putzer kiss from Aunt Jo Jo and bite his hiney for me! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete