Monday, December 21, 2009

Blizzard 09


I wish I could say "can't believe its been so long since I posted" but I believe it. I'm not the least bit surprised at myself. Things have sort of been one little tornado after another. Nothing life-altering, just enough to keep me running, then time to catch my breath to only run some more. Still waiting for the tornado that will actually sweep us (condo and all!) off to Oz!

D and I just rode out a different sort of a storm - the DC blizzard of '09! I was so swamped with work, I didn't even know there was going to be flurries, let alone a crippling storm until the morning of! It started around 9pm on Friday, and stopped snowing early Sunday - leaving about 22" of snow behind. We woke up Saturday to near whiteout conditions. After a big breakfast and some playtime, D showed interest in investigating this white stuff. I started shoving him into layers (think Christmas story) and forced upon him the size 2T-5T mittens and hat that completely eclipsed his vision unless I tugged up on the top.

At first, he loved the snow drifts and flakes - this was because we live on the 2nd story of 3 story garden-style building. He was getting the best of both worlds - the blizzard, snow drifts, and a roof. Our steps were treacherous - so I threw our sled down, then carried him down. He walked out into the snow...gave it a few seconds of contemplation, then screamed as if being stabbed by ever little flake. It was pretty funny. He ran for cover, re-evaluated the situation, gathered some courage and went back out to continue his investigation. He was so cute - kept looking at me and yelling "ma! Ma! MA!" pointing around to make sure I was seeing what he was seeing. Then "ma? Ma? MA?!?!" wanting an explanation - a word. I told him again it was "snow", which of course comes out his mouth "no".

He spent a few minutes visiting my neighbors who were out - pointing and yelling "no" in case they needed an explanation of the white stuff. He got pretty irritated when he saw our car buried. "uh oh" "UH OH" I assured him it was okay, and he shuffled off to go back up to the comfort of playing in the snow piles under our roof.

We ventured out to play on Sunday - which was nice for him since the snowfall had stopped, and there was a narrow path on our sidewalk with the snow on each side nearly up to his chest. Armed with his beach bucket and tools, he "helped" dig out our car until he deemed a nap to be the better option while my friend and I finished the chore.

Oh, and if you're wondering how our sledding adventure went - it didn't. I forgot he has been afraid of it since he peed in it a few weeks ago. (we were air drying a little diaper rash!)

No comments:

Post a Comment