Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Free Spirited Afternoon

Most of my Saturday came and went in a blur. It was 4 p.m. before I knew it, and time to get D from his Dad. We meet 'in the middle' of our two residences at the High High Country Store. I pulled in front of the new addition, the Bogati Bodega. I had just received a hateful text message from my ex for pulling into the parking lot 3 minutes late. That kind of thing gets under my skin and I felt my evening unraveling, as a sweaty, cranky toddler approached my car. There were no niceties, and he sped off before I even had the car door closed. I was about to pull out when I realized the car beside belong the guitar teacher at my school. I looked around for him, and saw him in front of the Bodega catching a smoke break. His band was playing at the tasting room. I wanted to stay, but I couldn't imagine a dog (I doggie-sat Stella this weekend) and a toddler in a wine tasting room would work - "Come on," he said "you're a free spirited kinda gal." I am???? He helped me unload the kid, dog, and diaper bag.

The tasting room is lovely, with a few couches, a large dining table, and several smaller tables. We claimed a spot on the couch, I got myself a glass of white, and some water for D. In the back of my mind, I was just waiting for it to all go to hell - but it didn't! Daniel and Stella wandered around, charming every person in the place. He clapped and cheered yelling "guitar! yay!" He held Stella's leash tight, and everyone in the place seemed to be fans of dogs (and toddlers!). After a few minutes, I felt the tension in my shoulders dissipate and my mind was at ease. Maybe it was the wine, or the maybe it was the unscheduled downtime...whatever it was, it felt good. As the band closed out their final set, the sky opened up and the rain poured down. Daniel was excited - so out we went, me in a dress and flip flops, him holding tight to the dog - running out to the car in downpour, splashing in every puddle we could find.

We climbed into the car, soaked and laughing...I guess when prompted, I am free spirited!

1 comment: