Thursday, March 11, 2010

WARNING: not for the faint of heart...

We officially survived our first "big boy" stomach virus. I actually thought it would miss us - the 'plague' as I will call it, hit his sitter's house over the weekend, so we stayed away Monday AND Tuesday. I was sure that between the hiatus and the copious amounts of lysol and handwashing, we were safe. We were not. Wednesday night, Daniel tagged along as I helped a friend with her recruiting night at her school (this is how we enroll students in band and orchestra). All was well, until as I was talking to a parent and holding Daniel - then it erupted. All over me, the floor, his beloved Monkey. It continued as I ran down the hall. He got sick again in the bathroom. It was awful. I peeled off his shirt, wiped up what I could and bolted for the car. It was a 15 minute drive home and I was NOT about to have vomit in my car. I got in and prayed that we would make it home and that I would not catch the plague.

Those of you that know me, know that I DO NOT handle throwing up. In fact, the last time I had the stomach bug, and Daniel was just a baby, I insisted on going to the hospital to get that sweet IV drug that makes you stop puking. In my own defense, the only other time I had the stomach bug as an adult was in college, and MANY of us ended up in the hospital, unable to rehydrate - so I have a bad track record with this stuff. I'd take a root canal over this crap any day. So it shouldn't be surprising that my prayer in the car was "hail mary full of grace, and our father who art in heaven, I promise to take such good care of Daniel if you just spare me. Glory be, AMEN"

We got home, and suddenly Daniel realized there was a second casualty in this - MONKEY. I'll spare you the gory details, but Monkey was not suitable to be around any humans. Daniel was upset, but took it like a man, got his second and third favorite lovies (Ottis the Otter, and Kitty the Lion) and climbed in to bed. I put Monkey in a lingerie bag, hoping the tag that said "Not a Toy" and "do not wash" wasn't really accurate. I crossed my fingers and tossed him in.

I got ready for the worst possible scenario. Diapers and wipes and extra PJ's were on stand by. Towels covered the floor with more close by. The trash can was empty and ready for action. I inflated the air mattress so I could camp out if I needed to. After about an hour and half of reading books and getting sick, he fell asleep. My fear of germs won out over my mommy instincts, and I hauled ass out his room for the safety of my room and my bed.

I got up a few times through the night with him, but by midnight, he was out for the night. He was amazing. Never cried or fussed - just stood up, got sick in the trash can, and went back to bed. At 6:30a.m., he was up but was willing to snuggle on the air mattress with me for an hour. By 730 he was up for the day, and wanted milk. Sounded like a bad idea, but he insisted. To my surprise, he kept it down. Then came some juice, and 1 tiny square of toast. Guess we got the really fast moving version of this nasty bug.

By 10:00 am, we were both exhausted, him from being sick, and me from hunger and dehydration - too afraid to eat. We put on some Blues Clues DVD's and napped on the couch until almost 2pm.

Things are going well - and my insane hand washing and lysol-spraying continue. Tomorrow will be back to work for me and back to daycare for Daniel. We survived - and so did Monkey!!! To runs through the gentle cycle and a good toss on low heat - he's as good as new!

No comments:

Post a Comment